Sunday, November 01, 2009

New York

How did Valerie feel about her first trip to New York??
She LOVED it! She did great on the 5 hour flight over... playing and sleeping intermittently.
And once we arrived, she got to meet her cousins, Gabriel and Nathaniel, along with her Auntie Daphnie and Uncle Scott.
Valerie loved their little dog, Miss Daisy! We had lovely weather the first few days, so we took advantage of it and went to the pumpkin patch the first day. It was crowded in the car, but we had so much fun!
Colonial Springs Farm...
This was hilarious! Micah sat down to pretend "milking" the cow and milk actually came out of the utters! Surprise! Picking the perfect pumpkin...
Carving time!
Finished products!








The next day, the weather was still gorgeous, so we enjoyed the great outdoors at the Broncs Zoo!

On Monday, Micah, Valerie & I took the Long Island Rail Road into Manhattan... Micah had some work meetings to attend, while Valerie and I just enjoyed the city!
We met up with some old friends from London... here's Paul meeting Valerie for the first time!We stayed in the Marriott just a block from Ground Zero... here's what it looks like today-a huge building site!We were just a 10 minute walk from Battery Park, where the ferry to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island docks.Trinity Church... a holy oasis in the heart of the financial downtown!While Micah was in meetings, Valerie & I took the ferry to the Statue of Liberty... here was our first siting from the ferry!
Needless to say, the weather wasn't quite as nice as the previous few days. In fact, it rained almost the entire day, but that didn't stop us! I carried Val in the pack, slung the diaper bag over my shoulder and carried the umbrella in one hand, camera in the other. :) We made it work! The ferry also stops at Ellis Island... here's my first view of it.
Outside the building, there is a wall with thousands of names of honorary immigrants etched in it. The view of the Lady Liberty from Ellis Island is quite impressive too.The Receiving Hall where immigrants waited...
We were also very near Wall Street, so I couldn't resist talking a walk down it and seeing the Stock Exchange and other fabulous buildings! On Wednesday (still raining!), Micah, Val and I walked quite a ways to the famous Katz Deli. It was featured in the film, When Harry Met Sally.
Micah had the most amazing cornbeef sandwich and I had french toast with their yummy sausage. It was great! The return flight was a bit tough for Val (and us!) because we taxied for over an hour before take-off, but once in the air, we all breathed a little easier. Though glad to be home, we had a wonderfu visit to New York!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Looks like a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Steph said...

I am so glad I got to see pics of this little vaca! It looked so fun, I am so glad you got to hang out with Scott, Daph and the boys. The trip looked super fun. Thanks for sharing. :)

Stacey Marie said...

Thanks for sharing the pics!! I so miss my family back in NY.. I wish I could get there to see them...this helps the sad feelings!

Mom P said...

Okay, does anyone else see the family resemblance...Kai and Gabe? They are definitely cousins! I love it!