Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Making a Home...


Micah and I have been working on making our little flat more like a home... which included putting most of our photos of family and friends on the fridge! Because the fridge is so small, I ran out of room for all of them, but will find more places around the flat to put them all. As you can see, we also need to find a place to put our books. The top of the fridge is not normally considered a 'bookshelf' to most British - just to those who ex-pats like Micah and I!

Another way we made our place more "homey" was by purchasing a tv! That's right folks, we're watching the good ole' BBC news now! Well, actually, we aren't connected yet so we can only watch dvd's, but SOON we'll be connected. Did you know that they charge tv tax here? That's right! They call it a tv license and charge £131.50 per year just to have a tv in your house!! (By the way, in US dollars, that's way to expensive to even calculate, hee, hee!)

So, this last weekend instead of being the tourists on a historical learning trip around London, we worked on the everday living things - like purchasing the tv and having to CARRY it home - about a 15 minute walk. Thanks to Micah's buff arms, we made it just fine. And the tv isn't the only thing we've had to carry home lately - just to remind all of you who get to drive around in a car and complain when you have to park a whole 50 yards from the entrance to a store when its raining (or snowing for that matter), Micah and I don't have a car and though the trains and underground system are very convenient, they certainly don't get us into the parkinglot of a store. From groceries, to household items, the bookshelf we'd like to purchase, and the microwave we still need... all have to be carried home! We're both hoping to drop about 10 (or more) pounds in these first few months!

We also went to church this weekend... a big one that took us about an hour (3 transfers on different train systems!) to get to - Hillsong London. If you are interested, you can go to
www.hillsong.co.uk to check it out. (Just click on the link!) Church is held in the Dominion Theater (kind of like Brooklyn Tab meets in a theater...). Worship started out a bit like a rock concert, but mellowed out after the first two songs. Micah and I really enjoyed the message and though we were blessed to be in church fellowshipping with others, I think we're going to check out a church or two a little closer to home. Hopefully we'll find a place to settle into soon!

Well, that's all for now, though I hope to put up some more pictures of "my little girls" soon, and eventually another tour of somewhere fantastic in London!
Cheerio!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, I love your fridge! Your both doing great... Tomorrow is Wed, hope to hear how your class "Project" comes out... How far is the nearest Grocery Store?? I can see you and Micah carring all the food stuff home. Now we know why they have a small fridge in the flat!! Do you have a elevator in the apartment building?
Love you both and just waiting for the next entry to your blog..
Hugs and Smooches
Nana & Papa
PS Sun is shining in Arizona but cold!

Anonymous said...

It's cold here in Salem too. The skiff of snow has yet to melt, daytime temps are not much above freezing. Do you have a "lift" in your building or do you get to climb the stairs after walking home from the store? Love seeing the photos and reading about your great adventures. Love you

Anonymous said...

Well up here in PDX, it is cold and the snow is finally starting to melt a little and hopefully thaw us out with out much freezing. Thats what i am hoping anyway, but that is not what is forcasted. So anyway your apartment is making me feel greatful for the space we have in our little house. I some times wonder how I do it, but like you, you just have too. The space is my belly however is getting quite cramped and hopefully in 5-8 weeks you will see miss mouse on the computer.

I love you guys and I am glad you got to go to a church service even if it may not be the one you choose permanently. At least now you can say you had the experience too. :)

Love ya and will talk to you soon, Doctors appt on Friday so I will post again to let you all know how i am.

Steph