Saturday, January 20, 2007

An Update from London...





This is Matilda. She is 5 years old, but has a birthday this weekend. One of her favorite games is "It," known as "tag" in the U.S. She and I are having a fun time getting to know one another!


This is Anna. She LOVES her scooter and rides it everywhere. I pick her up from school first, and she scooters over to Matilda's school where we pick her up together. She is 3 years old and will have her birthday in a few months.
I have had some fun nannying these girls and look forward to our days together!


The other day, during the afternoon, I was out being a "tourist" when I took this photo of the ever-famous telephone booths in London. Some day I hope to do a whole series of photos of telephone booths around the city, but for now, this is my first one. Aren't they great?
Trafalgar Square...

As I made my way towards Covent Gardens (great shopping and an incerdible outdoor market), I found myself in Trafalgar Square. This is a view of the center of the square. When we were here last summer, the fountains were going and there were people swimming in the water! As you can see, it was a bit empty in the afternoon. Perhaps that was because most SAIN people are inside during the cold and potentially WET winter afternoons. They go to places like this... the National Gallary. Thankfully the admission is free, so I made my way inside where I saw incredible works of art by famous artists such as Rembrant, Degas, Van Gough, Picasso, Monet, and more. I really enjoyed this side tour, and when I came out, was all the more thankful that I'd gone it because it got me out of a little rain storm that made its way through while I was inside. Outside, hundreds of these familiar birds gather, leaving a mess behind them. Lots of people try to run through them, to see the pigeons all "fly away," but they've grown so accustom to it that they hardly scare at all! Instead, other pople feed them and try to get as many as possible to land on them. Sorry - you won't catch me doing that!!Another famous sight in London - the double decker bus. And yes, I have ridden one of these. In fact, I taught for a morning at a local school. It was sort of a trial run for a job (the headmaster had such a "good feeling" about me when we first met, that he skipped the whole interview process and asked me to trial teach. Afterwards, he offered me a job for next school year! The funny thing is that I wasn't even looking for a full-time job. I just wanted to substitute, but I guess that's how the Lord works sometimes. He just drops things in your lap and that's when there is no doubt about what I'm suppose to do!). Because of the location of this school, I cannot take a train, so instead I researched the bus system and hopped on the 53... it took me to within a 5-minute walk of the school. It was a double decker and was a fun expierence!
Well, that's all for now, so cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always seem to check up on you guys on the exact day you post an update :) the pictures are great! glad to see you're able to get around and see some wonderful sights. and those girls are just adorable! praise the lord for everything he's doing!
-ashley

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job for the next year when you are there. That is so cool, and although you may have wanted a break, I think just being in a new place will give you clarity and peace while doing what ever you decide. The girls are adorable too I must say and I hope things keep going well for you in that area. I have to get the kids in bed now, but I will talk to you soon.
Steph