Thursday, October 16, 2014

Home sweet home?

I felt as though I was stepping back in time.  No kids. No heavy luggage.  Just a large shoulder bag and comfortable (but cute) walking shoes.  It very well could have been 6+ years ago.  Just rewind the clock.
My dear friends, Bec and Mel picked me up at the airport and we chatted the whole ride back to their flats.  Catch up time.  Of course, the evening didn't end there...Never before have I agreed more with Samuel Johnson when he said, "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life."  
Even late in the evening, as we made our way to the Savoy for tea and cakes, London was alive with people, the buildings alive with lights illuminating the old and new colliding in a way that brings awe and wonder and causes you to look twice at the beauty, history, and in some cases head-scratching confusion at the choice of architecture (specifically in reference to a couple of new structures that have been built since we moved away!).  This skyline in always evolving, but the anchors of the Parliament buildings, St. Paul's and the Tower never change.  I love that.
Here is the foyer of the Savoy...absolutely gorgeous.  Can't believe I'd never actually had tea there!  As Bec said, it was divine!
Though I won't go into too much detail about our day (you don't really want to read about our every step do you?), I must admit, when the sun broke through and the rain gave way to glorious blue sky, it was amazing.   We took the ferry in to the city, going under Tower Bridge and getting off at the Tower.

If you haven't heard about or seen the poppy project, it is AMAZING.  November 11th marks the 100th Remembrance Day.  One hundred years since WWI and honoring all of those who gave their lives in that war.  From Britain, that total is 888,246.  One glass poppy has been created for every life lost and they are all being put at the Tower of London to commemorate this momentous occasion.  The last poppy will be "planted" on November 11th, completing the memorial.  Words can't even describe just how amazing it was...









We enjoyed a nice English breakfast, a walk over to the south bank, through Boroughs Market, west along the south side of the Thames, crossing over and heading up to Covent Garden...





See that coffee shop behind me?  Monmouth.  Best coffee I've ever had.  Hands down.  Know of a good challenger?  I'm happy to taste it, but honestly, this was so smooth, the depth of flavor, with the perfect balance of acidity...oh my.  We're definitely going back for more (in um...about 14 days, but whose counting?).

No visit to London is complete without a quick trip to Harrods!
Well, actually, I enjoyed Harrods, but REALLY, no trip to London is complete without going to the theatre!  We watched a hilarious show called, "The Play that Went Wrong."  So funny.  Laughed till I cried and then laughed some more - both at the play, but also at Bec sitting next to me because when she starts giggling, it doesn't stop.  And its contagious!
We rounded out our evening with a ferry ride back to Woolwich, where my friends live...such a nice way to go.  :)

2 comments:

Corrigans said...

Love this! Especially the poppies - beautiful & what a great way to remember! My great grandpa died in the trenches of Verdun...I love that people still do things to commemorate it! What a special treat to have a little weekend getaway too! Happy for you! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a fun time! The Pics of the poppies gave me goose bumps, and I almost got teary eyed. Seriously, BEAUTIFUL! I can't imagine seeing it in person!
Thank-You for sharing your fun adventure. Can't wait to see the rest of the family in some London pics :) I Thinking one day before, well you know, I would like to go back to London, hmmmm. I can dream can't I?
Love you, Love MOM