Friday, September 25, 2009

Little Miss Houdini

Need a laugh?
Have I got a story for you!

Valerie often wakes up early in the morning (6 or earlier) and talks to herself for 30-45 minutes before going back to sleep. This is completely normal for her, but still wakes me up whenever she does it. SO, the other day, she woke up around 5:15 talking away... and finally stops around 6am. I suddenly had a STRONG urge to go check on her. I never do that - once she's quiet, I generally doze back to sleep myself. For some reason though, I just HAD to look at her. I tried arguing with myself, but to no avail.

I slipped quietly out of bed and down the hall. I carefully twisted the doorknob, pushed the door open just enough to get through, and tip-toed over to her crib.Do my eyes deceive me??!! No! Crammed on one side of the crib are Val's swaddle blanket AND diaper!!!

On the other side of the crib, curled on her side and sucking her fingers, asleep, was a naked-as-the-day-she-was-born little Valerie! To top it off, she had peed and was now sleeping in it!

Gross! I stood there for a moment in my shocked horror, thinking "what a bad mommy am I?!" then reached in a grabbed my snoozing vulnerable little girl. Of course there was no crying, until I finally picked her up! She got wiped down with a wet-wipe, dressed in a diaper, onesie, and blanket, then passed over to daddy - who was still sleeping! Mommy did a quick change of sheets (thank goodness for that mattress protector!), and then put the little girl back to bed. She then slept soundly till 8am.

You may be wondering, how did she get the diaper off if she had other clothes on? Well, it was very warm that night, so we'd put her to bed in just a diaper and swaddle blanket. Its the last time we ever do that!! On another note, Valerie has now diversified her taste buds to 3 flavors - infant rice cereal, carrots, and pears. She loves all 3! She would have had sweet potatoes before the pears, but some mommy (no names mentioned) burned them on accident! We're going to try cooking them again today! :)

5 comments:

Mom P said...

Too cute....hehehe. About those sweet potatoes...try microwaving them like regular baked potatoes. It works great and doesn't take long at all. If she talkes to sweet spuds, she'll be all ready for Thanksgiving!!! yeah for Valerie and sweet potatoes!! My kinda girl. Love ya all, Mom

Mom P said...

Let's try this again. If she "takes to sweet spuds". If she wants to talk to them she can do that too!!??

Maureen said...

Cooper was/is a Houdini as well! He got out of his swaddle blankets, his pants (before he could roll over), his diapers, pajama tops. It's pretty crazy what they can manage!

Tera said...

She is too cute! You guys had better keep an eye on her! :)
Love you

Steph said...

HA HA HA! My kids never figured that out until potty training, THANK GOD. Maybe she's ready to sit on the potty :) LOL And they call it mothers intuition for a reason :) We're smart when it comes to our kiddos. As for the food, that is really cool that she is going to town on some food. You can boil them, like cooking potatoes in water and then mash them. Love ya,
Steph