Another sunny Saturday in England. Aren't we lucky?! And to top it off, Monday is a Bank Holiday, so we get 3 days off work. Hurray! Now what to do with our days off? Micah suggested visiting a little town that I've been wanting to see for a very long time. We've ridden the train past Rochester 3 times on our way to Canterbury and Dover in the past. Seeing the stone castle and the top of a beautiful Cathedral always gets me curious! So, on Saturday, we took the trip out there.
The town's claim to fame is that Charles Dickens lived in this area as a young boy, and then again later on in his elder years. Hits of a Dickens love affair pop up throughout the town! Just look at the shop names below!
We thought it would be a quiet Saturday afternoon as we headed towards Rochester, but the sight we saw as we walked down High Street amazed us!
Our first glimpse of Rochester Castle, built in the early 12th century. It is one of the best preserved examples of Norman architecture in England and is also the tallest. Not to mention, in some spots its walls are 12 feet thick! Have fun storming the castle!


As we headed in through the Castle gate, we saw quite the scene. A carnival had been established in the castle's green -- a clash of 21st century chaos with the symbol of old-world strength and power.
We took a nice stroll along the river where this bridge borders the west end of town. The River Medway comes straight from the English Channel and is popular for boating.

We saw many funny sights through the day, but this one really had us laughing... this woman seems to have found her peaceful resting place!
This little Swiss chalet is where Dickens spent many summers writing his novels! He wrote his last words in 1870 in the upstairs room through the doors you see on the second floor in the photo below. (At the moment I'm reading Bleak House - a 700+ page novel, but my favourite Dickens' novel so far has been Great Expectations. Dickens Fans, please leave a comment and tell me your favourite!)
Pilgrims seem to be famous just about everywhere and Rochester is no exception! This narrow alley leading to the Cathedral is named Pilgrims Passage because it was the way they would pass to enter the church through its north entrance.
As we headed in through the Castle gate, we saw quite the scene. A carnival had been established in the castle's green -- a clash of 21st century chaos with the symbol of old-world strength and power.
We saw many funny sights through the day, but this one really had us laughing... this woman seems to have found her peaceful resting place!
6 comments:
That city looks beautiful! I'm reading Great Expectations right now and love it... It's the only Dicken's novel I've read since The Tale of Two Cities in high school. Talk to ya soon!
I love the lady sleeping on the grave! That made me laugh out loud! He hee---
Laura
Well I don't know if I qualify as a Dickens fan but I have read David Copperfield and enjoyed it, so that's my vote.
I'm having a moment of uncertainty about whether or not Charles Dickens wrote that book... well I told you I'm not really a fan!
I still love Oliver Twist. To be honest...I took a dickens class at Northwest and read so many dickens tales that the facts of them kinda run all together! I love that picture of you infront of the chalet that dickens wrote at. It reminds me of that cute little cottage I liked between greewhich park and the Heath..or the walk over to black heath. :)
Hi! I know, you are trying to hold back your surprise that I am actually commenting on the blog. Well I am a "blogger" now so I thought I better play the part. My favorite Charles Dickens book so far is definitely A Tale Of Two Cities! Wow, what an amazing book! I love Dickens, as you know. It looks like you guys really had a lot of fun, I am so glad! luv Eva
How crazy is the weather? I have some pretty stark tanlines from London. Who could expect that.
Hope you both are enjoying the time. Thanks again for all your help. I'm so behind on my blogging it will be a few weeks before England shows it's photoface on my page, but it'll get there.
What a cool castle.
Post a Comment