
Last summer I'd visited Cambridge with Beth and really enjoyed the college town! Yesterday, Micah and I decided to venture out there together! The sky was clear, the sun was warm, and the college town was filled with shoppers, students, and tourists!
Generally I give a lot of historical detail and attempt witty humor in my posts, but as this was a leisure trip, I'll make it a leisure blog as well!


There has been a sign such as this, posted on Laundress Lane since 14th March, 1857!


The funny old white Shakespearean building pictured above looked as though it was about to fall over with how much it leaned!
Micah takes a seat in the middle of the Saturday market.

Loads of bicycles line the streets everywhere in this town!


Cambridge University, made up of 31 colleges is having its 800th anniversary in 2009! Some of the colleges are not open to visitors and others charge a fee to go inside. We ventured into only one college on this trip...
though we saw the outsides and "peeked" into many!

St John's College, founded in 1511 by the mother of King Henry VII. It is the second largest of the university colleges
(enterance pictured below).

Here we are, walking through the inner courts of the college.

And visiting the chaple in St John's college.

Best of all, St John's college has one of the top two famous bridges over the River Cam: The Bridge of Sighs.


The bridge is a replica of the original in Venice, Italy. There are only two like it in the world - Oxford and Cambridge!
The view looking at and through the Bridge of Sighs.



After wandering through St Johns, we took some time to chill out in the massive green space behind it! We lounged on a bench in the shade while university students played frisbee (rather poorly, might I add!) on the grass, with the college in the backdrop.



It was a lovely, relaxing day!
(Pictured here is Kings College Chapel)
1 comment:
wow! that looks amazing. and the weather looks amazing too :) Dj said that once I got here..the weather in seattle got good..and it's cold in NOrth carolina. go figure :)
love you,
jen
Post a Comment