Just 30 minutes outside of London is the town of St
Albans. Steeped in history, it was originally called
Verlamion by the Celts, then
Verulamium when the Romans took over, and finally St
Albans once the Romans vacated it.
On High Street are many Tudor buildings, as this town was the first over-night coaching stop
en route to and from London. The main focal point however, is this 15
th century clock tower!


St
Albans Cathedral is names after
Alban, said to be the first Christian martyr who was beheaded sometime before A.D. 324.

Originally this was the sight of the town's Abbey, but was reconstructed in the 1500's to what you see today (though some of the original building still dates back to the 11
th century!).


The shrine to St
Alban, one of the many places in the church reserved for prayer and quiet reflection.

St Micheal's Parish is a small church near some Roman ruins and a museum, on the outside edge of St
Albans. It is a medieval church, with construction beginning after the Norman conquest (11
th century) and the most recent additions taking place in the 1800's.
Verulamium Green is a park connecting the Roman ruins (included part of a wall, a gate, mosaics, and a theatre) with the museum, parish, and cathedral. Though it was drizzling all day long, I enjoyed the walk through the park!

Funny feet on the critters!

St
Albans lays claim to the oldest pub in England, Ye
Olde Fighting Cocks.

It is an 11
th century building on an 8
th century site, which is how it came to earn the
Guinness Book of World Records title as the oldest pub in England.

Originally planning to stop off for a coffee at Starbucks on High Street, I decided to duck into the pub for a drink from the tap instead! Literally, I had to "duck" into it, as the
door frame was just barely to low for my head. I had to continue ducking a few of the major support beams inside as well! It was a quirky old pub with loads of character, and a lot of guests! It took such a long time for me to get served that when I finally ordered my 1/2 pint, the bartender game it to me for free. What a nice way to end my day in St
Albans!
2 comments:
Boy am I getting homesick for Europe. Thank you for filling some of my European travel void with your posts! :)
Miss you,
Laura
I really love the funny bird's feet!!
Post a Comment