Thursday, November 08, 2007

Word of the Day

I've never had a "word of the day" before and I've never really been a word-a-zoid kind of person, but I heard this one today and couldn't stop giggling about it. So, here it is. The word of the day for Thursday, 8th November is...

titchy
I heard this word used twice today...
1. Two teachers sitting side by side. One in an adult-sized chair. One in a little chair. A third teacher enters the room, busts out laughing and says to the teacher in the little chair, "You look so titchy in that chair beside her!!"
2. Teacher A says, "Can you please give this cardigan to Louisa on your way up? She left it outside at play."
Teacher B replies, "Sure. Is she that titchy one?"
"Yes, isn't she small?!" exclaims Teacher A.

As I overheard these conversations (both today!), I just couldn't help but laugh. I've deduced by the content of the conversation that titchy means unusually small or tiny... almost amusingly small. So, to "check" my understanding of the word, I looked it up on http://www.dictionary.com/.
Imagine my dismay when it turns out "titchy" isn't even a real word. Bummer.

Oh, well! I think I'll still use it anyway!

4 comments:

Jenny vick said...

I like that word!!! I think I'll use it too. Forget proper grammar! Slang it is :)

Julie Pilgrim said...

Cool word, Becky, but I also have one that actually sounds very close to yours. It's "TWITCHY", and the child of a friend of ours used it to explain to his mom that it was causing him to be uncomfortable. The mom couldn't quite figure out what her child meant until the discomfort was described a little bit further. The word that this child was actually searching for was, "WEDGIE". Now catch yourself before you wet your pants from laughing! :-) And try not to get any twitchies! Love ya! Julie

Anonymous said...

Becky, Check out the article I sent you...We can start a "titchy" movement. In no time Random House will be flooded with requests to include "titchy" in their dictionary.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky!! I love reading your blog and dreaming of my days loooong ago when I had no crazy toddlers and lived in Europe. I am living through you and a couple other of my friends that are working overseas (thanks! It costs me way less this way!). I am imagining the conversations you typed out in their british accents!! Love it! I am sure that most of my vocab wouldn't be found in a dictionary. Shoot!