A few months ago, I booked a Eurostar trip for Micah and I to go to Belgium... Brussels, specifically. After my parents left London and went back home, I knew our trip was coming up, so without even looking specifically at the dates, I printed our itinerary and told Micah to get ready because our trip was coming! We packed our backpacks on Thursday night, I looked up train times, we coordinated EVERYTHING so that we'd be meeting at Waterloo Station exactly 35 minutes before departure so that we could check in. I got to Waterloo early so that I could print our tickets... that's when I saw it. The dates for our trip. We weren't leaving that Friday - we were leaving the NEXT Friday!!! Unbelievable! For a moment I'd thought the train company screwed up, but alas, in my over-excitement, I'd gotten us ready to go a week early! So when this Friday night came around and it was ready to leave for our trip, it had an anticlimactic air. At any rate, I'm glad we were a week early, instead of a week late!!!
So, here we are... Brussels, the capital of Belgium and Europe (the European headquarters are here).
I am NOT kidding when I say that just about every other shop was a chocolate store! I was in HEAVEN! We spent a lot of time enjoying this little tea cafe J.Dandoy... though to be honest, we didn't even try their tea. We drank cappuccinos and ate waffles. Yummy!
Of course, Belgium is also known for its wide selection of brews...
A King's house, an old bread market, cafes, a church, a chocolate shop, and the chocolate museum are just a few of the buildings making up this square. It truly is a beautiful sight with its mix of architecture, cobblestone ground, and hundreds of people filling it up!



Manneken Pis - A very little statue that causes a very big stir! This statue of a little boy a somewhat "compromising" position has been a tourist attraction in Brussels for centuries! No one knows exactly why he is there or when he made his first appearance, but truth be told, there were hundreds of people there to see him. Apparently he has over 300 costumes, including Father Christmas, Elvis Presley, and Micky Mouse! Unfortunately, we enjoyed the pleasure of seeing him in ALL his glory!

Most of the time when we go on trips, I have a whole list of things to see and do, but this trip was much more relaxed... we walked outside when it wasn't raining. When it was raining, we drank coffee, talked, and ate waffles & chocolate.
8 comments:
Hi there, I sure am glad that someone in this family got to visit the old "homeland". Grandma K was the only one of her siblings who was actually born there. The odd thing is, she is the youngest of 5. Go figure! But as I understand it, her parents and family came to the USA, got married and then went back to Belgium after having 4 kid in US. Love you both,
Mom
I hope that you got the recipe for those waffles!!! I sure wish that you could mail me some of those! What a fun trip and I'm so glad to hear that my friend is still somewhat like me . . . mixing up dates, times, etc.! Thanksgiving is coming up and I will be thinking of you guys that day! So, how much chocolate did you actually bring back with you?!
Well, I'm sure glad you take these various trips - gives us all a chance to see some cool stuff, too. : )
Oh behalf of all mommies who are still in jammies while scrubing old unknown food from the high chair.....I am so glad you guys are doing this. Really, really fantastic.
I have to first admit that I didn't read this yet! just looked at the caption and the wonderful pictures! I was so jelous that dj got to talk to you yesterday and I didn't. I thought about you all weekend and what you must be doing in Belgium! I'm chomping at the bit to see you..and see London..but seriously..if you moved to rural wyoming or something we would still be as excited to come and spend time withyou!!!! I guess this is more a letter than a comment........love you :) lets talk soon!
I second becca's "still in my jammies loving watching you live life" :)
we are going out to ride bikes now
i'll have to check that song out for sure!!! I'm so glad it reminds you of us :)
love,
jen
Salem area bloggers are getting together for coffee soon. Some of us have never met face to face so we thought we should! Any chance you'll be in the area?
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Jill
P.S. Being a mom is great, it really is. But tromping around Europe with no kids sounds a teeny bit more exciting to me. I'm so glad you're enjoying it!
These pictures are absolutely fantastic what amazing sites to get to see...The chocolate and the food looks like its to die for...thank goodness Im not their I would have to gobble it up lol...Glad you guys are having a blast...In Christ -Greg
Post a Comment