Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Horror

Okay, so horror isn't the perfect word for this story because it wasn't so much of a horror as it was... an "experience." However, it was one that resulted in me reporting an incident to the Lewisham Burough Police Department... it was the first time I've every reported ANYTHING to the police!

So, its Halloween night... not such a big thing here as it is in the states, but as I ran to the supermarket tonight (yes, ran with Jeep on my back), I saw a few kiddos dressed up and out trick-or-treating. I did my shopping and began my 1 mile walk home. Everything was going splendid, though was quite dark by this time (still only 6pm).

Just one block from my house, a group of 7 or 8 ten-year-olds were standing in around on the sidewalk. I didn't think much of it, as I had passed by many groups such as this one on my way home. However, as I neared them, I noticed two or three raw eggs cracked on the ground and two squished on car windows. That's when I thought something might be up.

In a flash, I went through my mind what I'd do if I was attacked and checked to be sure my mobile phone was still in my pocket.

As I walked staight by the group, one of them says, "Hey - got any money or sweets for Halloween?!"
"Nope, sorry!" I reply and keep on walking.
Behind me I hear some scuffling and whispering. Then the boy yells, "Oh, yeah! TRICK-OR-TREAT!"
I ignore him and keep walking, thinking "whew... that'll be the end of that."

But no... instead, I feel a thud on my shoulder, then heard the egg crack as it hit the ground. THOSE KIDS JUST TRIED TO EGG ME!!! (Well, did egg me, but it cracked on the ground and not on my, thankfully!)

In an instant, I dropped my grocery bag, turned around and while running at them, yelled, "Who threw the egg?!!"

All of the boys scattered, but one. He, with insincere innocent eyes, said, "Why are you mad at me? I didn't do anything."
I asked him who threw the egg and if it was him, but of course, got no for an answer. The boys who'd scattered now stood not far from us, watching to see what I'd do. So loudly, I said, "That's it. I'm calling the police!!"

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and pretended to call the police... even pretended to have a conversation with them, saying the street names, how many kids there were, how old they looked, etc. By the time I'd "said" two words into the phone, ALL of the boys were no where in sight - they'd run in different directions. I hung around for a few minutes, deciding if I should ACTUALLY call the police, then realized it wasn't a life-or-death emergency requiring a 911 call (here it's 999 though!). So instead, I picked up my shopping, walked home, and from the safety of my own living room, I called the actual police station and reported it.

I was never in any real danger, but I am thankful that the lady at the police department was polite and promised to send a patrol man out to check the area. I was more worried about any other people (especially kids!) that this group of boys might come in contact with. At any rate, I now have a new Halloween memory to recall in the coming years. Long gone is "Mrs Pilgrim dressed as a Pilgrim" for the party at Evergreen Academy...

6 comments:

Mom P said...

Whew! I'm sure glad that the egg wasn't a firecracker or worse, a knife! Ruffians...what can you do with them. Tonight we have the Harvest Party, expecting over 300 guests. Lots of Love, Mom

marlaje said...

I think that you could've boxed him!!! All of them at the same time for that matter! Practice your Tai Bo tonight and kick some 10 year old booty. . . you teacher you!

Anonymous said...

I love that you faked a police call. Classic. : ) And I'm sure it was enough to scare them sufficiently. Now you all have a good story, and no one got hurt. Happy Halloween! : )

February Jill said...

Wow Becky you are brave. I probably would have run for my life and hoped for the best. I can't believe that you turned around and yelled at them! You are my hero.

Jenny vick said...

OH my gosh...I'm sorry but that is so funny! I could totally invision you ..jeep on back....ready to chase them down! awesome..I'm going to get dj in here so he can read this! hey...Maybe you went to London so that you could get a new Halloween story...it is God's gift to you :) Love you and Miss you...my halloween blog is coming soon ;)

Anonymous said...

way to go Beck, I'm sure they will think twice before picking on a "helpless" female!! I'll bet Micah was ready to buy a dozen & go a hunting. Love Dad Hill