This weekend Micah and I decided to explore a new market... I first heard of it in Bedknobs & Broomstics (thanks to Jennifer for correcting me!), but also have heard that it is the largest antique market in the world! Well, it certainly was big, with lots more than antiques... the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure" certainly rings true here! The very first antique shop was opened on 115 Portobello Road (see picture below) by June Aylward in the early 1900's... since then hundreds of other shops have opened and are licensed antique dealers!
Have you seen the fild "Notting Hill" with Hugh Grant?? Well, if so, you may recognize The Travel Bookshop pictured below! Hugh Grant worked in this bookshop in the film (remember, when Julia Roberts - playing a famous actress no less - popped into the shop and thus began their relationship. The shop is just 1/2 block off of Portobello Road... and we not only looked at the outside, but browsed the inside as well!
Last, but not least - the Lazy Daisy Cafe. The odd connection here is that Matilda and Anna's (the girls I nanny, well, will nanny once more and than am finished due to a full-time teaching job starting in September!) Aunt began and still owns this cafe! At the end of our stroll down market lane, we popped into it to split a pannini and enjoy fruit smoothies! A very fun day!
It first opened in 1849, by Charles Henry Harrod, priding itself on a reputation of service and excellence - not necessarily cheap prices. :) It was once said that a person could get ANYTHING at Harrod's - including an elephant. And at one point in time, that was true! So, what did I drool the most over? The chocolate, of course. But who wouldn't when it looks as devine as this?
3 comments:
I bet it is weird to see Portabello Road!! It is actually from Bedknob and Broomsticks though! :) That was such an odd movie. Your travels are so fun to read about! Keep traveling! I will "live" through you :) LOL!!!
When I visited Harrod's years ago they had this gody Diana tribute in the basement. I wonder if it's still thier?
Aaah, Micah and Becky.... I just love looking at your photos and reading about what you've been up to. I love seeing the smiles on your faces and I love living vicariously through you. Thank you for the continued updates. Miss you guys--
Laura
Post a Comment