I had heard that it can be a bit difficult getting to Stonehenge without a car or being on some kind of tour. Because I am still very fearful of driving on the "wrong side" of the road (AND to make it more difficult - I don't even have a car!), I decided to take the tour option. I went with an organization called London Walks and if you haven't heard about them yet - well, they are the best walking tours I've ever been on! Inexpensive, entertaining, informative, and with a HUGE variety of topics to cover! They also do these Explorer Days - which is what I went on. My guide Richard (in the red hat) was an excellent guide, very animated and full of information!
This small town, originally a Roman town called Sarum, is easy to walk about and is most known for two things: the Market and Salisbury Cathedral.
I had never gone on an all-day tour, let alone gone all by myself, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. The great news is that I didn't end up all alone because I met a new friend! Her name is Alisha and she's from Chicago. She was traveling alone as well, so we connected and enjoyed lunch together at Polly's Tearoom (See white building in photo above!)
This water fountain is actually the holy water... a very interesting modern design and the water works like a mirror, reflecting the magnificent design of the vaulted ceiling!
The cathedral was beautiful inside, as most are! I am always amazed at the architectural design and what is fantastic about this place is that it was built in only 38 years! That may sound like a long time to us now, but back in the 1200's that was SPEEDY! Generally cathdrals of this size took more like 70-100 years to build.
Of course, there is always restorative work to be done on buildings as old as this, and when I saw these men hanging from the front of the cathedral's west end, I began to understand just how large the building is! When looking at the church from afar, the statues look smaller than "life-size" but in reality, they are BIGGER!The Mystery of Stonhenge:
And to think that the stones you are seeing in these photos is only 2/3 to 1/2 of the actual stone itself! The rest is buried in the ground in order to keep the stones upright!
How did the builders on Stonhenge manage to move these HUGE stones all the way from Ireland and Wales hundreds of years ago - during a time when proper tools had not even been invented yet? Theories exist as to how and why they did so, and one estimation suggests that it took over 300 men one year to move one stone a total of 18 miles!! Amazing!
3 comments:
Hey, it looks like they took the fence down around Stonehenge-is that true? Did your tour guide mention anything about it? When I was there they said they had to fence it in because of vandalism and people chipping off pieces of the stones as souveniers...
Again....I am amazed at what you've seen!!! So when we come to visit I want to see everything You've seen! I think we can do it. :) Just kidding. pretty pretty stonhenge. I love the last picture....so Mysteriously appropriate!
Jenny v.
One of my favorite framed photographs in my house is from this trip! Seeing Stonehenge was amazing and meeting you added so much to my trip!
Post a Comment