
That's right... we had a beautiful sunny day on Saturday... the perfect day to head down to England's most popular coastal town - Brighton! Unfortunately by Sunday afternoon it was raining back in London, but I can't complain too bad. It was just a misty rain for an hour or two, and then the blue sky came out in the late afternoon!

Brighton is a relatively small town (small city center, large residential area!) right on the English Channel, south of London. It is known for its beaches and the Palace Pier. According to Rick Steve's pier is the place to go for a "fix of candy floss, fortune tellers, and tacky souvenirs." Too true! It is also filled with carnival games and amusement rides - not a place that Micah and I hung out at for long!
.JPG)
If you remember anything about my post of Portsmouth last February, you'll probably recall the rock "beaches" I complained about. Well... the same goes for Brighton! The ONLY sand to be found anywhere has been imported in for the few sand volleyball courts along the beach front. The rest of the beach is covered with "shingle" - a smooth pebble of sorts.

I was curious to know whether being buried in "shingle" was anything like being buried in sand. Micah was my guinea pig and let me bury him... at least his lower half!

There really isn't a LOT to see in Brighton (hopefully I'm not offending anyone who has been there or lives there!), but one fantastic building is called the Royal Pavilion.
King George IV, famous fo his scandalous secret marriage to Catholic widow Mrs. Fitzherbert, built this palace as a vacation home in Brighton. He admired Asian cultures, and therefore styled his home after that fashion... his few passions - food, music, and parties - are evident by the design and gaudiness in the palace. Because it was such a beautiful day OUTSIDE, Micah and I decided not to go
inside, but instead enjoyed browsing through The Lanes (a maze of anitique and boutique shops), sipping on blended coffee drinks, hiking to a nearby park, and strolling along the crowded boardwalk alongside Brighton's Pier.
5 comments:
We get to have another adventure as we travel along with your pictures. So much FUN love ya.
GRAMY & PL
Micah! You are such a good sport to be covered in rocks!!! Right O! Dj was thrilled to be able to chat with you the other day! Skype is a wonderful thing! I'm doing my research and I can't wait to see you in London!
love,
jen
P.s. what is that strange stucture like thing in the water???
jen
The "strange structure like thing in the water" is an old pier. It was being built when (on accident, I think) it burned!! It hasn't been rebuilt, so just sits there in the water... in the shadow of the huge Palace Pier...
~B
You've been tagged!! You should play the MEME game...You're IT!
Post a Comment