A few more fun pictures from Malta!

The 3 Amigos... 3 musketeers... the traveling trio! Whatever name you want to give us, we'll take because mostly - we just enjoyed hanging out together! Here we are at the top of the citadel on the island of Gozo (a 30 minute ferry ride from Malta, and still part of the country of Malta)...
This sweet lady sold her homemade goods in a small shop near a tourist sight-seeing adventure (Calypso's cave). She makes the sweaters you see in the background, and her mother made the lace she is holding, which I purchased and look forward to putting in my home some day! There are a few crafts that Malta is especially known for... lace, blown glass, and pottery.

Prickly pear cactus is all over the islands (Malta & Gozo).
This is what an unripe prickly pear looks like. (It is like a small growth on a much larger cactus). When the fruit is red and ripe, it is picked and made into a variety of things. One of which is prickly pear jam! We bought some from the road-side farmer.

In my previous post, I mentioned the British influence and that my fascination with telephone booths was enhanced by my trip to Malta... however, I have a new fascination now! Door knockers! Here is just one of MANY photos that I took of Malta's unique door knockers...

Peaceful sheep, munching grass in a pasture... I love it!

I wish that I could properly portray to you the beauty of the limestone brick buildings all over the city and the way that the sun reflects off the water and the buildings, causing a gold reflection to warm your face in the evening... absolutely beautiful!

Boats, boats, everywhere... motor boats, rowing boats, even paddle boats! It seems everyone takes advantage of the water, and why wouldn't they? It is heavenly!

Mdina - the Silent City... as we enter the silent city, there are horse-drawn carriages every where! We chose not to take a ride in one, but enjoyed saying hello to the work horses!

Another artwork that Malta is known for is blown glass... it reminds me so much of the Oregon Coast and the glass blower that Micah and I have watched working several times. The glass in Malta comes in many colors and the shops selling it have lighting that makes the glass sparkle...

Inside the Silent City...
Valletta: Malta's Capital City - This is Republic Street in Valletta... basically "shopping central"! A fun and busy street, but the unique and special side of the city where step staircases lead up and down shops & cafes!
Fortified Cities: There are 3 fortified cities in this bay... one being Valletta, the city I am in! Here I am looking out across the bay and you can see the steep walls built up around the city to protect it from invaders long ago...

Malta is known for its rocky beaches - yes, "beaches" because people actually lay out on them, like we would a sandy beach. Eva and her sis, Alyssa are walking on the beach below.

And yes... I'm on the beach with them! In the picture to the left below, Eva is trying on her brother-in-law's combat gear! Is she tough enough to do this job?

Above right: A window from a tomb in an old cemetery in Malta. Above left: Me with my "favorite dog under 10 lbs!" - Brutus aka Mr. Bones
Here I am, cooking in the kitchen (actually, I mostly cleaned and let the real cooks do the cooking!) with my wonderful host and tour guide - Alyssa.
I can't thank Eva and Alyssa enough for their hospitality, friendship, and love! What made this trip so excellent wasn't just the fantastic setting and excellent weather - but the girls I was with. We made so many fun memories and I look forward to a time when I get to hang out with them again!
1 comment:
Becky,
I just spent the last 1/2 hour enjoying your trip to Malta... I felt like I was with you, enjoying all the sites.. What a beautiful place... I'm so happy for you, enjoying the time spent in Europe... What an experience... Can't wait to see you in June... It's coming fast...
Love to both,
Nana and Papa
Post a Comment