Saturday, March 03, 2007

Sunny day at Greenwich Park

Our weather has gone back and forth from sunny to rainy and back again these past few days! However, we’ve managed to enjoy the sunshine when we have it…. One of those sun-breaks came on Friday afternoon, and I just happened to have my camera with me while walking around Greenwich Park. J

This is a HUGE park, with everything from flat grassy areas for football (aka soccer) to rolling hills. Throughout the park there are paths to walk on, which makes it a popular place for runners and walkers. It has a great kids playground, small man-made boating pond, cultivated flower garden area, a rose garden with over 100 types of roses, and of course, the Old Royal Observatory through which the prime meridian runs!


I entered through the south gate below:


Signs of spring are popping up everywhere, though I can't wait to compare these pictures to ones that I hope to take later when the trees are full of green leaves!


This is a neat pond in the flower garden area. There always seems to be ducks, geese, or other fowl swimming around in it. A mom and her little girl were feeding the birds bread crumbs!


The Royal Rose Garden has so many types of roses! Perhaps the most surprising though is #108 below:

I can't wait to see this one in bloom!



Not far from the Rose Garden is the Old Royal Observatory, where many advancements in astrology were made. It is also the official Greenwich Mean Time location and the point of the prime meridian.


From the Observatory, looking down the hill is a beautiful view of the Queen's house, with the Old Royal College behind it, and across the water is Canary Wharf.This view gives you a little more perspective... you can see a long way off! If you look below the gold star in the sky, you'll see an egg-shaped building. Micah works really close to that building.
This is a view of the Queen's House from the front. You enter into the museum through the little black door in the middle of the building, located near the bottom of the picture.
Though a queen used to use it as a retreat home, part of it was converted to the National Maritime Museum and the other part is now an art museum. It is beautiful architecture both inside and out.

The ceiling of one of hte rooms in the Queen's House...
This photo is looking up the stairwell in the Queen’s House. The natural lighting was amazing…

If you would like to know abot Greenwich Park, check out: http://www.royalparks.gov.uk/parks/greenwich_park/

2 comments:

Mom P said...

Wow, my daffodils aren't blooming yet. They're just now learning how to swim, we've had so much rain they must think they're drowning!! But the crocus are blooming like crazy. I bet those parks will be absolutely gorgeous in a month or so.
We miss you, love you, and pray for you often.
Love mom

Jennifer said...

I bet that park will be absolutely gorgeous during the late spring and summer! I can't wait to see the pictures!