Sunday, September 28, 2008

Summer has come?

I really shouldn't complain, but why does the sun have to wait till September to finally come out?! We have had 2 glorious weekends here in London. The Autumn chill is definitely in the air, but the Summer sun is fighting back, giving us a bit of hope before the gloom of Winter. Last weekend, Micah and I went into the city for a long walk in Hyde Park and along Piccadilly, the down the South Bank to London Bridge.
Here is a pathway in the Hyde Park, with a few flowers still in bloom! Along Piccadilly Road artists and dealers set up their good for sale. It is here that Micah and I bought a painting of the Parliament buildings and Big Ben. We look forward to hanging it on our wall back in Seattle!
The painting below is similar to the one we purchased!
Along the South Bank of the River Thames, sand sculptures are being built. Every sunny weekend the same guy sets up at Gabriel's Wharf to sculpt something new... this weekend he was designing a living room setting with couches, coffee tables and everything!
Not far from London Bridge is the Millennium Bridge, leading from the Tate Modern art museum to St Paul's Cathedral.
This weekend, Micah and I enjoyed some fabulously long, sunny walks in Greenwich Park. Unfortunately, I didn't carry my camera on the walks though! We went to dinner at a great French restaurant just 5 minutes walk from our flat. We'd gone their for desserts a few times, but not for dinner. We had no idea what we'd been missing! You better believe we'll be heading back here a couple of times before we leave the country!!
The sun continued to shine on Sunday, so after church Micah and I did a bit of browsing in the Covent Garden area, enjoying the market and the tourist crowds. We stopped in Patisserie Valerie for a bit of authentic Italian gelato as well. Yummy!

I'm not sure how many more sunny days we'll get here, but rest assured - we'll take advantage of every one! Hope you are enjoying some nice weather in your corner of the world as well!

3 comments:

Eva said...

I really love the pic of you infront of the French restaurant. I just like the bl&wh and what your wearing and... I dunno I just like it!

apotts said...

so fun! jeff and i went walking on the kirkland waterfront with some starbucks yesterday because it was so beautiful here. keep enjoying your time in that wonderful and fun city!

Mom P said...

Dad and I drove home from church yesterday in the beautiful sunshine with the sun roof and window open in the new car...what fun! The tomatoes keep ripening in the continuing sunny days we're having.

Love,
Mom