On every main street and side street in every major city throughout Europe, massive wooden doors exist. The mystery behind them has always intrigued me, yet it is a rare occasion when, as a tourist passing by, the door opens just enough to catch a fleeting glimpse into the courtyard beyond as a person slips in or out. However, on the last weekend of June, Micah and I were honoured to enter this secret society by way of the Gastehaus Deutscher-Orden (a convent with rooms to rent for guests) in Vienna, Austria.
It was a fabulous place - one of the most memorable (Can you picture the Sound of Music here?) and most centrally located just one block from St Stephan's Cathedral in the historic center of the city.
St Stephan's Cathedral is the center of the historic city and its Gothic needle is so tall that it can be seen from just about anywhere in the city. While we were there it was covered with scaffolding (it was in desperate need of major cleaning), even so, it was an amazing site.
We enjoyed a fantastic new coffee drink - Eiskaffee! It is vanilla ice cream with cold coffee poured over it, and topped with whipped cream! Delicious!


Horse drawn carriages clip-clop their way throughout the old city centre all day and through till dusk. We enjoyed the romantic sight of them, but preferred walking to riding!Mmmmm.... gelato! The best place to get it? Zanoni and Zanoni, just a block or two from St Stephan's Cathedral. So good!

This was a unique building (also a museum) called KunstHausWien. A local artist/environmentalist named Hundertwasser had painted a picture of a building with unique architecture such as this, and in honour of him, his painted piece of artwork became a modern piece of architecture!
This is one of the world's top opera houses, with over 300 performances a year (15-20 different performances a season, rotating nightly).
Thanks to Rick Steve's recommendation, we had dinner at Gigerl Stradt Heuriger, where I tasted my first wiener schnitzel!
They provided some wonderful entertainment; however, the drums, chanting and singing lasted till the wee-hours of the morning!

6 comments:
Wow! What a lovely room. And what a lovey city. And what a lovely couple! Oh my goodness-so much lovelyness!
Speaking of love...WE love YOU!
Thanks for sharing pics! I travel vicariously through you. :)
We LOVED Vienna! So glad to see someone else enjoying that beautiful city.
Okay, so I love the sights, the buildings are beautiful, blah, blah, blah. . . . . but girl, I am going to Vienna purely for one of those coffee and vanilla icecream sundaes!!! Yum! Can you tell I'm on dieting?! :0)
Micah, it was so awesome to get your phone call on Friday telling me about your stay in Vienna. Now seeing the photos and fun galore, makes it even more special. Thanks for sharing with me about your week-end before it even started. All I can say is, "Wow!" Love you both, Mom
micah- I LOVE the point! Keep doing it!
Post a Comment