Friday, June 06, 2008

Charles Dickens Fans!

A true English hero - fighting for the rights of the malnourished and mistreated, stealing from the rich to give to the poor, working to put an end to boys in factories and warehouses. An idealist. A realist. Full of anxiety and sorrow, but also willing to find hope, love, and joy in the world so rank with industry, greed, and power. This, my friends, is Charles Dickens.

Micah left this morning for a week-long trip to Atlanta and Jamaica (lucky guy! It is for work though... mostly). So what do I do when he's gone? Go to a show, of course!
Since we've moved to London, my interest and appreciation for Charles Dickens' works has grown. I've mentioned this previously, but it is reiterated here. The show I went to see was Dickens Unplugged at the Comedy Theatre near Piccadilly and Leicester Square. I was a TOTAL geek, arriving much to early (on purpose) in order to read my novel David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (who else?!) while I waited for the curtain to raise.
(Please note, these are not my photographs. Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera tonight).

The show, written and performed by a group of 5 guys (from Syracuse, California of all places) was a laugh-out-loud, totally entertaining and informative compilation of "Charlie's" famed novels, as well as some biographical information about his life. I must admit, that part of the humour to the show was hearing proper Victorian English performed in an American accent!
Through hilarious folk-type music, enthusiastic acting, and even a bit of dancing fever, these 5 men played multiple roles in order to act out Charlie's life and the plots of stories such as Oliver Twist, Bleak House, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, Nicholas Nickleby, Tale of Two Cities, Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, and The Christmas Carol. After the show, I enjoyed my favourite walk in London - from the iconic vision of Big Ben and the London Eye, along the south bank of the River Thames, past the imposing brick of the Tate Modern, to the old timbers of Shakespeare's Globe, the shiny steel of the Millennium bridge and the architectural masterpiece of St Paul's Cathedral, to London Bridge Station, where I catch the train home.

Would that I could have taken all of you Charles Dickens fans out there, with me to the show tonight! How much fun would we have had?! Which brings me to my next bit of news: I'm in a long-distance book club with some very good friends and we are reading the infamous David Copperfield write now. I'll have to share a bit more about that soon!

No comments: