Thursday, May 15, 2008

We're Going Green

I just love the brilliant green of spring time! Greenwich Park has been transformed from its dreary skeleton to vibrant new growth in the last few weeks. My favourite tree is this one - with its very dark bark and branches and the contrast of bright spring green leaves. It is a fantastic sight!
With the green sprouting all around us the season, we've been thinking a lot about the idea of "going green." GREEN can mean a lot of different things these days - from fanatic tree-huggers to every-day recyclers or organic-eaters. In considering the pros and cons of all these things, Micah and I have tried to make some conscience decisions regarding better care of the earth and ourselves lately!
We are careful to recycle what we can, use only reusable carrier bags (or backpacks!) for our groceries, reduce our amounts of rubbish by purchasing things with less packaging, and are eating a bit more organically and healthily!

Over the weekends, Micah has been making really yummy, very healthy breakfasts for us!! I couldn't help but share with you my granola with lots of fruit and Greek yogurt, fresh squeezed orange juice, and the not-so-healthy-but-much-needed coffee latte!
Now, don't think that we're over-zealous Greenies, but we're just trying to do our part to take care of the earth God's given us as our temporary home!
Enjoy the green life.


7 comments:

Eva said...

Going green eh? I've been trying to be concious of that, as well. You are very right, it's about being a good steward of what God has given us! So, Micah, do you think that I could get one of your breakfasts? YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

Love the looks of that breakfast!! take a walk at sunset for me, okay?? I love you guys and miss you so much!!

Love,

Stacey Marie

Anonymous said...

Going green rockers-my-sockers....

-Sam

Anonymous said...

Good for you guys! Think of how much better things would be if we ALL did that!!

Laura

Mom P said...

how's this...dad and I have been recycling for quite a while. But I have yet to start using the reusable grocery bags. But all of our grocery sacks, paper and plastic, are used again at our church's monthly food bank. Now that I think about it, I AM using reusable bags!! I loved the look of that breakfast as well.

Love to you both,
Mom

Steph said...

Hi there, it is much easier to go green before having kids because you will have already made it a habit. Kids produce alot of crap too, plus you can begin to work organic food into the budget now, instead of when you have 4-5 mouths to feed. It is just too spendy for the food, but as far as the plastics and papers, definitely. They do make GREEN diapers, that's who Kolbie modeled for. Love ya
Steph

Lena said...

Becky!
I've been trying to track you down since you've been there...you are a hard girl to find!!! Is this the only emailing you do...or do you use an actual email account. I really want to chat with you. Email me when you get the chance.
lena.sterley@tfgroup.com
I miss you and I hope you're having a wonderful time!
-lena