Monday, April 14, 2008

A tourist in the Puget Sound

I never thought I'd say it, but I was a tourist in my own hometown!! And you can believe that I will be one again when we move home. In fact, I've discovered that its fun to be a tourist EVERYWHERE!

So, here's a bit of history on Kirkland,
Back in 1886, Peter Kirk, a businessman, auctioned off his property and manor in England (go figure! Sort of makes England feel even more like my second home, considering the founder of my first home is from here!) and headed to America to make a fortune. He found his way to the Pacific Northwest. Kirk had big dreams, particularly for the land east of Seattle by the waters of Lake Washington. He thought it was the perfect place to build a steel town to support a mill.


He built his steel mill, but Kirkland eventually evolved into a ship building industry and then a transport town for ferries with cargo going back and forth to Seattle. It wasn't until 1940 that the ferries were brought to an end, due to the construction of the Lake Washington Floating Bridge!
Micah, Morgan and I enjoyed a sunny day in Kirkland and ate our favourite Terriyaki Maddness down by the waterfront!






Marina Park waterfront in downtown Kirkland! Beautiful!





We drove across that wonderful Floating Bridge and into Seattle to explore the infamous Pike Place Market. It is the oldest continually operating farmers market in the United States! I felt like I was back in England (minus the funny accent!) as we explored the fresh fish, veggies, flowers, and crafts!

The old market clock (circa 1930). The area beneath this main market neon sign became Seattle's answer to London's Speaker's Corner (in Hyde Park). Socialists, Evangelists, and even communists have used this area to excercies their freedom of speech to all who will listen. Many Londoners who moved to the Northwest were drawn to the Market atmosphere because of the similarities it has to the markets in the Old World.







More than nine million visitors come to the public market each year! The market was created in 1907 and on its opening day was deamed a "clamorous fiasco" because hundreds of women braved a summer rainstorm and stipped bare the farmers' carts loaded with fresh produce.

Since then the Market has had to overcome numerous battles to stay alive, but with each challenge, Seattlites not only voiced their opinion but also fundraised massive amounts of support in order to improve the entire Market area.

The Year: 1971. The Craze: Starbucks Coffee.

Where does its name come from? Melville's Moby Dick! An appropriate name for a seafaring city where a sailor can find a warm cup of coffee! The original store is on Pike Street, right in the heart of Pike Place Market!


The view of Seattle's waterfront from Pike Place. I-5 runs right in front of it and in the distance is Quest Field and Safeco Field!


I couldn't help it. I had to buy some flowers for a friend. Who can blame me? They are beautiful!

3 comments:

Jenny vick said...

you guys had a pretty day in Seattle! now it's gross and rainy again :(

love you guys and miss you already!!

jen

Mom P said...

Seeing the market brought back memories when we "did" the market with you guys way back when. My most "unmemorable" memory is the STAIRS!!! I think I could manage a little better now. Looking forward to Christmas in NY...yeah!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

And beautiful flowers they are!!! :)

love you guys so much,
Laura