This is a city in which stories from the New Testament come alive... read about Peter, then go to San Pietro in Vincoli (St Peter-in-Chains Church) which claims to have the chains that held Peter in prison. Also on display is Michelangelo's Moses.
We also went in the Mamertine Prison, a 2,500 year-old, cistern-like prison, to which prisons were lowered a whole in the roof. This is where Peter was said to have been held... an upside-down cross on the stone commemorates Peter's upside-down crucifixion.
Next stop? The Pantheon - with Rome's largest dome until Michelangelo's dome at St. Peter's Basilica. The columns in the front are magnificent, but the inside is truly amazing.
Micah and I are always drawn to the serenity of water, so admiring the many bridges over the Tiber River was refreshing. It also offered us our first view of the Vatican! However, we saved that for the end of our trip, and instead, continued exploring Rome's historical center.

We walked through many piazzas (squares or gathering spots - great for markets!), and had hoped that at Piazza Navona we'd find a great Christmas market. Instead it turned out to be more of a kids carnival, but it was an experience none-the-less. 


Inside... beneath the tall square alter is where Peter is buried.
The statue below is Michelangelo's Pieta. A Pieta is a work showing Mary with the dead body of Christ taken down from the cross.
On Christmas Eve, Micah and I enjoyed going to the American Catholic Church, called Santa Susanna. We joined in a Christmas Carol Service and Christmas Eve mass. It was a fantastic experience and was a relief to hear English speakers!
Here we are at the Trevi Fountain. Rome has fountains in almost every piazza (taking full advantage of the abundance of water brought in my ancient aqueducts!). They are beautiful fountains, with the most infamous designed during the baroque period. This one in particular is a lively one, with loads of people hanging around and tossing in coins while their picture is taken. It is said that if you toss a coin over your shoulder, it will give you your wish and assure your return to Rome. So, when in Rome... of course, we both did it!
The biggest, richest, most impressive church on earth: St. Peter's Basilica


View from the front steps of the church, looking out into the square.Its hard not to love a quiet town like this, unless of course you don't have a good pair of walking shoes with you! We went up and down thousands of stairs, but it was worth the view - both from the top and the bottom!
Downtown Sorrento at night...
We also took an afternoon ferry trip to the Isle of Capri... probably best to visit there in the summer as it is best suited for swimming and boating, but we enjoyed a visit... hiking up to the top of the city center (rather than taknig the gondolo like most tourists!), eating gellato, drinking cappaccinos, and enjoying the view:
Our favorite part in Sorrento was the citrus orchard park... hundreds of lemon and orange trees crammed into this public park, sweet smelling and fresh. It was a haven from the streets and shops!Back to Rome for New Years... our only task: to get into the Vatican Museum and to see the Sistine Chapel.
And we did... eventually. This photo is of us after having waited 2 1/2 hours to get in... it took a FULL 3 before we finally made it to the enterance. It was undeniably the longest I've ever waited in a queue. The throngs of people...
After statues upon statues (including the bust of Julius Cesear!),
And painting after painting, fresco, after fresco (a fresco is a special technique where the paint is actually mixed with plaster so that when it is applied it becomes part of the wall (rather than painted on a canvas). This is one of Rafael's frescos...
Final stop? Giolitti's Gelateria... I can't get enough of that Italian ice cream. However, we'd prefer not to have pizza or pasta for about a month - we'd eaten more of it in 10 days than we care to admit! It was a fantastic trip altogether. Thank you, Micah, for giving me such wonderful Christmas memories this year!
6 comments:
oh my goodness! what an amazing adventure! Becky...your pictures get better and better..I am so glad I have so much artwork to choose from when i'm looking at the gallaria de Becky :) I loved the pictures of the museums and the altar where Peter is barried is amazingly Grand...not something that he would probably care for :) interesting. love y ou guys..talk soon,jen
Wonderful pictures!! They bring so many memories of our trips to Rome. :) It's funny how we all end up standing in the same places to take pictures in front of famous buildings.
We also almost got our camera confiscated in the Sistine Chapel, but I refused to leave without a shot of the ceiling and managed to take a few shots from inside my purse that came out quite well. Did y'all climb up to the top of the dome or was the line too long??
Beautiful. I remember the first time I went to Rome and stood on the bridge of angels. I wasn't a Christian yet, but even so, I was really struck deeply that there in Rome I was looking at buildings that were there during the time Christ walked the earth. It hit me, while looking at those buildings, that it wasn't all that long ago that he was here in the flesh. And that's pretty amazing.
Thank you for sharing your Italian holiday with us. The photos are wonderful, and seeing you in those fantastic places is great. love you much, Mom
Seriously. I'm so jealous right now after reading your post. It brought back a lot of memories of our trip to Rome nearly 7 years ago. We have a pic of Jill and I in front of the Colliseum very similar to the one you have here. We couldn't help but think of how different it was for Christians walking down that cobblestone road heading toward the Colliseum 2000 years ago...
And St. Peters, truly breathtaking. We got to hear Pope John Paul speak while we were there (not that we understood it: in Italian). I do remember how long it took to get through to the Sistine Chapel. Each time you go around a corner you think "Maybe this will be it. Nope just a whole lot more paintings and sculptures..."
We through our coins in the Fontana de Trevi as well, but haven't seemed to make it back yet. I'm hoping for a speedy return though someday. We'll see.
Sound like you had a great time. I'd love to talk about it with you two. :-)
SR
B&M...new picture of Hana in her snow white outfit she got from you guys for Christmass!!! adorable..check it out on our blog. Love you guys!!!! Less than a month away...AAAhhh.
:) jen
Post a Comment