Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas is coming...

What Micah didn't tell you in the previous post, was that on the Sunday of his birthday weekend, we went over to another couple's house for lunch. We had a wonderful afternoon with them (that turned into quite a late evening!), but the part that I wanted to share with you was that we actually roasted chestnuts over an open fire! Yes, yes - you know the song - "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Jack Frost nipping at your nose..."
That was us! Cliche, but true!

Today was very exciting at school (we're only ONE day away from the holiday break!), so I thought I'd share a bit of it with you...
We had a formal Christmas lunch today... turkey and all the trimmings!

Do you know the tradition of Christmas crackers? They aren't something you eat... instead, they are the brightly colored "presents" you see wrapped and sitting on the table. This is a tradition of commonwealth countries. Two people grab either end of the cracker and pull. It makes a loud crack! when it pops open. Whomever ends up with the larger portion of it, gets to keep the prize inside. Prizes are generally silly jokes, cheesy plastic toys, or as in the picture below...
Paper crowns for everyone to wear! Even the staff (left to right round the table, Headmaster Mr Higgins, Teresa, myself, Sarah, Lyn, Sarah, and Kat) got to wear them. We sat at the head table and ate with the children today in a party-like atmosphere.
The kids wrote letters to Santa today as well. I thought you might enjoy reading a few bits of them (unedited version)...
Dear Santa,
I hope you have a Happy Christmas and a good trip arand the world and are you a red belt in taekwando. and can I have an elfy for Christmas
love Amber
Dear Santa,
....Do you stop time stop time when you go around the world tick yes or no yes/no
From Hudson

Dear Santa,
I would like a sea thing for Christmas and I have some qestons 1. Can I have on of your elves. So I can be helpful with it 2. How meny elvs do you have 3. Wots your rander's name's are 4. I hear lods of story's abot you but wot one is real? Happy Christmas.
Love Maisie
Dear Santa,
....Give my love and a pat to Rudolf.
Love Esther

Dear Santa,
Please may I have a elf to do my homework?....
From Harrison

Dear Santa,
Why do you have so many names.....Can you do magic. If you cood cood you make me better thak you Saraya

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the letters to Santa! Kids are so darned CUTE! Man, I wish the US schools could do a formal Christmas dinner and write letters to Santa in school. In order to do that here, we would have to include every religious holiday that exists around the world as well, and that would take too much time and be too confusing, and someone would still end up being offended....

Mom P said...

I agree with 'Laura E's comment about Christmas and school. We need more of the reason for the season in USA. The letters were cute. But PLEEZE tell me I didn't see brussel sprouts on the plates. UGH! Aarrgghh!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas ! I love IT!!

Jenny vick said...

Super cute letters to Santa! Great! Today Makayala said.."Santa is all about Christmas isn't he." And she wonders if Santa gives presents to mommys' and daddy's!! :)

love you,
jen