To most, it might not be an exciting one, but to me, it was spectacular - just what I needed.
Bored with the same running route home this sunny evening after work (and knowing that if I went straight home, I'd end up sitting in front of the computer all night long) I ventured off the straight and narrow path, into Greenwich Park. I found a sunny slope to sit on and as people walked their dogs, mums pushed their prams (strollers), and groups of teenagers strolled by, crunching the autumn leaves under foot, I enjoyed the peacefulness of a quiet evening in the park. The shade gradually overtook the open field as the sun set behind a row of tall oaks opposite of me. As the shade inched closer and closer to me, I stared aimlessly at the grass and saw things I wouldn't normally take the time to see.... Insects jumping from blade to blade, ground spiders stringing up trip-lines to catch their dinner, leaves falling gently from the trees as the evening breeze loosened their grip on the branch. A few birds were off chirping in the distance as squirrels gather as many conkers and acorns as they can before hibernating for the winter.
Finally, the cold air forced me get up and moving again - moving towards home. The Jeep and I walked around through the park and on up to quiet side streets back home. After a week of noisy children looked in one small classroom on the third floor of an old building, this was the perfect way to unwind...
(Now, for those of you who prefer my more historical-tour-guide approach to blogging, tune in on Sunday because I will have a fantastic treat for you by then. I'll be going on a tour of the Cotswolds tomorrow... should be fabulous!)
3 comments:
That is such a beautiful pictures! I have missed your blogging adventures! I make sure I check it out every couple of days. How is teaching going? Your "Jeep" looks like a great friend :) I have to find a "Jeep" of my own! :)
Micah and Becky,
I am so jealous of your many adventures in England. Sounds like you're having fun across the pond. Love to catch up with you guys when you're back. I recently started my own business, something I'm sure Micah and I could sit around and talk about for hours... :-) I'll be sure to keep you updated.
Keep the updates coming we really enjoy them.
Shane
Man, your description took me into a dream world, imagining the romanticism of Europe. Why is it that Europe always seems and feels more romantic than the US? Even sitting in the park and watching, seeing and feeling all the little details sounds so much better in a London park than a US park. Funny...
Thanks so much for the updates, they always bring me out of my everyday and into another part of the world! :)
Laura E
Post a Comment