Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Confessions of a Full-Time Teacher

No whining here, but I must admit that working hasn't left me much time to spend blogging, let alone exploring new areas interesting enough to blog about!! However, I'll attempt to keep up my once-per-week posts, just to let you know that Micah and I are still alive! (Besides that - One of my loyal blog fans and dear friends, has left a comment reminding me -in not so many words- that I should keep up with this thing. Hee, hee!). So here I am... an evening resting from my "marking" (correcting students' work), teaching proper British spelling (colour vs. color and favourite vs. favorite) in front of my Victorian fireplace, playing rugby in the wind and sprinkling rain, sipping tea (and trying not to spit out b/c I still don't really LIKE it but I drink it anyway), and mentally preparing for my first "Parent Evening" at my new school!

I just have one "fun" thing to tell you about... Love's Labour's Lost by William Shakespeare, performed at Shakespeare's Globe. Micah was gone all of last week on a business trip and his last words to me were "have fun". Okay, amongst teaching for my first full week with students, planning for the next week, and trying to keep up with laundry, etc., what could I do to have fun? THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN GOING TO THE THEATER! One of only 3 models of Shakespeare's original Globe Theater is on the South Bank in London, near London Bridge. Because it is an open-air theater, its season runs only from March - early October. I was running out of time to make it this season, so I decided to buy myself a ticket to Love's Labour's Lost last Thursday night!

Close-up photo of a part of the metal gate entering into the Globe (looking out from the Theater grounds)
The play was fantastic! Hilarious! And yes, I admit, at first it was hard to follow. It took me 30-45 minutes to get into the "Shakespeare" language flow... but that was alright because the play lasts for almost 3 hours!!
"The stage" and some Groundlings - these people paid only £5 for their ticket, but they must STAND the entire time!

Me - at MY seat!



This photo is a bit blurry because I quickly took it right as we were told "no photography please," but at least you can see our pre-show entertainment... a little 1600's style music!
I had a fantastic time at the show, but must admit that it is much more fun to go to the theater WITH someone... so next time, I'll wait until Micah is home and take him along with me!

6 comments:

Jenny vick said...

wow becky..pusing all the limits...going alone...taking a picture when they said not to....Ooooh... you are living on the edge I tell you!!! :) So fun to see that you are blogging again! Welcome back ;)

talk again soon,
love,
jen

Jenny vick said...

Yikes...I meant PUSHING the limits :)

Glory Laine said...

As I am sitting at the table with my four year old and waiting for him to eat just two bites of his pizza so we can both be on our merry way. I am wishing that I could go to a play with you tonight but instead I sit with this stuborn little boy. (But his mom is more stubborn.)

Mom P said...

The Quality of mercy is not strained. It droppeth as the rain does from heaven. That is all the Shakespreare that I Know. Merchant of Venice. Sounds like a great event all but the standing for 3 hours. Miss you both and wish we could come...
Love DAD P

Jen Green said...

Becky, I think the time difference between Japan and London make it hard to catch up on skype but we'll make it work one of these days. I love the pics of the "Globe" I was standing on that very stage once (about 10 years ago) and seeing it in your pictures is so much fun and it brings back fun memories. (Somehow it doesn't seem right that ten years ago I was 18.) Oh and your classroom and kids look like so much fun!

Jenny vick said...

so...I have an idea. while Micah is out of town..instead of spending all your time "marking" papers...why don't you work on your blog...write about someting random...you don't even have to use pictures :) what do you think? I'll give you a few topics...mocha or latte...Red or White (wine of course) Flats vs. Heels. Post modernism or not. Your favorite childhood memory...a smell that reminds you of a certain time in your life. Ok..pick one and run with it. I'll see you on the other side :)
love,
jen