Friday, July 06, 2007

Cricket, anyone?

Micah and I went to our first cricket match tonight! I have to admit, though it is a game very different from most American professional sports, I had a fabulous time!
With security being very tight everywhere in London these days, we not only had to have our bags/purses checked through security, but also, everyone recieved a full-body pat down upon entering the stadium!! As you can see, it wasn't Micah's favorite part of the event... Lord's stadium, in north London is essentially, the home of cricket. The stadium holds about 30,000 people and was the first in the city. Tonight, we watched two English teams play each other, Essex vs. Middlesex.
Though the weather in London has been dreadful lately, the afternoon turned out nicely, with sunbreaks and all!
When most people think of cricket, they think of matches that last for days, little movement, and lots of confusing rules. Most of that is true!
However, I've learned that there are one day and four day county matches, five day international matches, and then there are the kind that we watched tonight: 20/20 matches. Each team gets a serious of 20 "overs" (which I won't get into here, but feel free to ask if you'd like to know more about it!) and the match lasts about 3 hours - sort of like watching a major league baseball game.
The fans to the left of our box seats:
The fans to the right of us:
One of the Brits who was watching the game with us called cricket "England's civilized game" because the fans don't go all crazy like they would at a football match. People cheer - but actually cheer for any good play, whether it is the team they prefer or not! They aren't ever rude or obnoxious, but are... well, civilized!
The final score of the game was Essex 128 (red/blue team), Middlesex (pink team) 126. It came right down to the wire, but Essex pulled it out with a nice crack of the ball, sending it outside the boundary, scoring 4 points.
Though Micah and I probably won't become avid cricket fans, we certainly enjoyed the event and have learned enough to actually understand the basics of what's going on!! Fun times!

No comments: