Buckingham Palace - a beautiful sight, isn't it?

I decided to be the ultimate tourist last week and I ventured out to the Palace for the legendary Changing of the Guards ceremony! The ceremony technically starts right around 11:00, but in order to see it all and from a good position, I got there around 10:20. The guard in the photo below has been marching and patrolling the front of Buckingham Palace now for almost 24 hours. Though I'm sure he's got to be tired, he looks as alert as ever, marching, standing watch, and marching some more.

While looking for a spot with a good view, some horses with carriages went by... they drew quite a lot of attention, and were most likely people who live in Kensington just taking their horses out for some exercise on Birdcage Walk in St. James' Park.

As the time drew closer and closer for the ceremony to start, the area in front of the Palace was packed with people...

These men you will see in front of Buckingham Palace (and other locations) are not just ceremonial guards but also serving Soldiers. While upholding the traditions of the past, they also perform duties throughout the world as professional soldiers and are known as some of the most elite and skilled soldiers in the British Army. The responsibility of guarding the Royalty dates back to the Henry VII (1485-1509), but back then they were known as the Household Troops.
We could hear them before we could see them, as they pomp and circumstance began! Then from behind Queen Victoria's monument (the one in front of the Palace), they came marching...


I was amazed to find out that these big furry hats they wear are called Bearskins and they weigh 665 grams (about 1 1/2 pounds), some are over 100 years old and passed down in the family.

The band playing high-stepping music, dressed to the T, and marching in step with the music and each other is quite the sight to see... I was completely caught up in the fun of the moment, then I saw the soldiers behind the band...

...and I remembered what this is all about. Certainly the tradition and honor of being a soldier in the Queen's army is something to celebrate, but it is also a serious commitment that can cost a person his/her life. Then I thought about the British soldiers who were captured just a couple of weeks ago, and of all the American soldiers as well, who have given their lives for our freedom, and many who are still fighting today. Instead of just another celebration, the excitement of the Changing of the Guards is a time to honor and thank those soldiers who are serving... and to pray for their health and safety while they give up their lives for us!

I stood on the side of the street near a corner of the Palace and had a wonderful view of the soldiers marching in, as well as the people gathered at around to watch. This is only about 1/4 of all the people there to watch!


The Changing of the Guard involves many processes, with some time to wait in between. First, there are foot soldiers and horseguards. The horseguards come and go between their barns in Kensington to St. James' Palace. The foot soldiers come and go between Buckingham Palace and St. James' Palace. For each group of soldiers fresh ones are sent in and the ones who have been serving for the last 24 hours, go out.

So in all I got to see 4 groups of soldiers come and go. The whole process took about 45 minutes to see. I stood in one spot nearly the entire time and could count 15 police officers from where I stood - all of them patrolling the crowds and keeping the on-lookers in certain boundaries. One of these police officers told me that each day the Changing of the Guard alters their schedule slightly, but every minute is planned out specifically. They change their order or the minutes at which they march so that they are unpredictable for any sort of terrorism or attack that might be planned against them. Even the police officers don't know their plan, which is why there are so many and such strict guidelines as to where sight-seers can stand and when they can cross the road, etc.

There was a small group of children inside the palace gates, standing in a place of honor as they watched the guards. I'm not sure what they were being honored for, but it was great to see the children involved!

One of the final steps in this process is to exchange the flags... these come and go within Buckingham Palace. The ones recently used are retired to the inside of the Palace, but only after the new ones have been brought out and flown.

All in all, this was a spectacular event and I look forward to going to see it again when friends and family come to visit!
1 comment:
Becky, Your guided tour with comments is amazing. I never realized the number soldiers who were involved in the "changing of the guard" not to mention the 24 hr committment. Wow! I LOVE to read your comments as much as I enjoy seeing the pics. You're doing a wonderful job keeping us all so well informed. You have definitely made the world smaller and more intimate, at least for the family. Love you, miss you, can't wait to see you.
Post a Comment