- Time it takes to get from London Waterloo to Paris on the Eurostar: 2 1/2 hours, with check in and unloading - a little over 3 hours... about the same amount of time it takes to drive from Seattle to Portland!
- Approximate # of waking hours Micah and Becky spent in Paris: 36
- # of photographs taken: 525, about one every 4 minutes!!
- Height of the Eiffel Tower: 1,000 feet, though the highest platform is 900 feet.
- Sight visibility from the top of the Tower on a “good day”: 40 miles.
- Sight visibility on the day Micah and Becky were there 4 miles. (just kidding – not QUITE that bad…)
- Paint required to cover the Eiffel Tower: 50 gallons!
- # of chocolate crepes consumed: 2 ½ each.
- # of chocolate crepes we WISHED we’d consumed: 10… or more… each.
- Grande Arche de la Defense: So big that the Notre Dam Cathedral could fit inside of it!
- Musee de Louvre, Europe’s largest and oldest museum: 8.50 Euros (approximately $10.00)
- Seeing the Mona Lisa 8 feet in front of you: Priceless
- One regular sized cappuccino ordered by an American in a French café: 6 Euros ($8.00)
- Sharing a cappuccino with your husband in a smoky, but intimate French café just 100 meters from the Eiffel Tower: Priceless
How do I begin to tell you about our trip to Paris? There is almost too much to describe and to show you through our pictures! I think the best way to do this is in separate posts… I’ll start with some general information and details, and then show you specific sight seeing adventures separately. If I attempted to do it all at once, I’d be at the computer all day loading pictures, and you’d probably never make it through this post. So here it goes…
We’d checked the weather reports numerous times before leaving London on Thursday night, and found that Friday in Paris was supposed to be cloudy and rainy. However, Saturday was suppose to be quite nice and Sunday, gorgeous, so we we’re confident that we’d get some good weather to enjoy the sightseeing of Paris.
Unfortunately, not all weather forecasts are accurate… therefore, many of the photos you’ll see are quite cloudy and dark. J The good news is that due to the cold, wet weather, Micah and I ducked into many French cafes, enjoying overpriced coffee and croissants with the best of them! We were able to get by with our limited French vocabulary of Bonjour (hello or good day), Au revoir (good bye), Merci (thank you), Parlez-vous anglais? (Do you speak English?), and L’addition, s’il vous plait (The bill, please.). I’m not sure exactly how we did it and I’m sure that at times we paid more for something than we should have, but we did it anyway… and we’re still smiling about it!
The Eiffel Tower... as if you couldn't recongize this world famous sight!
(More to come on the Eiffel Tower later)
Another part of the architecture that really amazed me was the doors. Most large buildings or central doors to apartment complexes, etc. were very large and ornate. I could have taken hundreds of photos of doors alone - they were so beautiful! It makes the entrance feel like an event, rather than just another place to go into.
Another unique cafe... with vines creeping up the side of the building, flower boxes, and newly planted flowers... so quaintly perfect.
The glass telephone booth on Champs Elysees... the major boulevard that leads to the Arc de Triomphe...
And La Poste near Napoleon's Tomb...
I must say that the asthetics of the red telephone booths and post boxes in London win over the more modern French equivalents!
As I mentioned above, there is so much to show and tell about Paris that I couldn't possibily to it all right here, right now; therefore, my plan is to be working on posts with specific sight-seeing events in Paris, so stay tuned for more!
Posts to come in the next few days:
Eiffel Tower
Arc de Triomphe and La Defense
Musee Rodin, Jardin du Luxembourg, and Pont Alexandre III
Pantheon, Notre Dam, and the Louvre
Eiffel Tower
Arc de Triomphe and La Defense
Musee Rodin, Jardin du Luxembourg, and Pont Alexandre III
Pantheon, Notre Dam, and the Louvre
One more thing... Micah and I were walking towards the Pantheon and saw this nice Harley parked on the sidewalk... I had to take a picture of it for you, Dad. Wouldn't it be great to ride a Harley in Paris someday? At least they drive on the right side of the road there!
2 comments:
Thanks for the picture of the Harley! And the tour of Paris was pretty awesome too!! Love you, Dad
I'm soo glad you had a good, no GREAT birthday! The pics are great, seriously have you thought "career in photography"?!!!! You'd be great at it! Maybe not so much school :) Love you guys!
Post a Comment