My 1st view of the Eiffel Tower, on Friday, March 24th.
A bit overcast and foggy, but a great sight to walk towards!
(The road that runs directly below the Eiffel Tower is named after its designer - Gustave Eiffel.)
(Photo taken from le parc du Champ de Mars (the park) looking towards Trocodero Square.)
(From the 400 ft. platform... notice the rain clouds haven't burned off yet!)
Looking towards our hotel, the Seine River, and of course the football pitch (field) down below, where a match was being played!
The upper section of the 900 ft. platform is exposed to the elements, but still enclosed by this wire-cage sort of thing. I guess they don't want us falling out...
Boys will be boys... here is Micah - spitting from 900 feet in the air. Someone below might just think it was one big raindrop... GROSS!
In America people generally have to pay to use these cool telescopes, but in Paris, a person can use them for free! (Finally, something is free! Ha!) Honestly though, the metal was SO cold that I only looked through it once. From then on, I perferred to use the telephoto lens on my camera to see the buildings below!
I'm really glad that Micah and I waited to go up the tower till Sunday. Not only was the weather better, but it also gave us a further appreciation for the height and size of the buildings we'd seen the previous two days, and a great appreciation of the architecture of the tower itself!
The two photos below were taken on Sunday AFTER we went up the tower... we finally saw blue sky for the first time all weekend!! It looked so wonderful! Here Micah is trying to "push" over the Eiffel Tower... if he's not carful the guards are going to come arrest him!
There were two small levels at the 900 ft. platform. The first is completely enclosed, protecting us from the elements, and has various facts and tools to help sight-seers get their bearings once they are at the top. One of the neat things was the distances to various cities around the room… we were only 9,105 km (5,654 miles) from Los Angeles! (That was the closest city to the northwest.)
Here Micah and I are standing on the Trocodero side of the Eiffel Tower. It was a bit wet and really started to pour while we were trying to snap a few photos...
So wet in fact, I decided to put my "rain hat" on!
2 comments:
i think you should start selling your photographs. i would totally buy them :)
-ashley
Wow, those are all very beautiful photos! Thank you so much for sharing your time in Paris!!
Post a Comment